In the recent update, 4.50, Sony introduced External Hard drive compatibility for the PlayStation 4 which was a long-desired feature. This was released in response to the PlayStation’s competitor Xbox already having this feature. This allows gamers to upgrade their PS4 storage without having to purchase a new PS4 through an external hard drive.
Before you start to prepare your Hard Drive make sure you have met the following requirements:
- Upgrade your PS4 to the latest firmware, 4.50.
- Have an HDD which is USB 3.0 and is in the space gap of 500GB to 8TB. It is recommended the HDD be at least 2TB space. If you purchase a smaller HDD in the range of 500GB to 1TB, you may see yourself needing to upgrade again as you run out of space.
Now that you’ve met the simple requirements follow the following steps:
- Plug your HDD into one of the USB ports on the PS4.
- Go to Settings – Devices – USB Storage Devices- then select your External Drive.
- Select Format as Extended Storage.
- Select Next, Format, Yes and Okay.
The drive then should be formatted to PS4 specifications and be ready for use. Once your drive has been set up you can choose to move games, capture gallery, etc. from your PS4 onto the drive. To do that follow these steps:
- Go to Settings- Storage- System Storage- Applications.
- Click Options on your controller then select Move to Extended Storage.
- Hover over the games you want to select and click X. Once you have picked all the games you want to move select Move.
- Wait for games to transfer and you’re done.
- If you want to move anything from capture gallery, the same steps above can be taken except instead of application you go to capture gallery.
On a side note, whenever your drive is connected and you are installing a new game, that game will automatically be installed on the drive. However local data such as screenshots will be saved locally onto the PS4. Whenever you want to play a game that is installed on the drive make sure the drive is connected. If there are any queries, comment below and I will get back to you.